Friday, September 30, 2011

Dear Grandmother,


Hard to believe it's now been two years since you left us.  A lot has happened.  Some good, some not.  Some things I know would disappoint you, but others I know you would be proud of.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could call you up, or come and see you, and tell you about the latest funny thing that Sarah did, or share with you how well Charlie is doing in school.  To have you share my excitement when I started my own business, or just to sit and watch a movie together.

October 2008
I will always be grateful for all the time I got to have with you.  You and I had a special connection, and that is something I take with me everywhere.  I'm even more grateful for the time that Charlie and Sarah got to spend with you, and feel a great sense of peace that they will remember you.  Not just in pictures or through stories... they remember spending time with you.

You were the most remarkable person I have ever known, and I know that nearly everyone who knew you feels the same way.  Your quiet strength, your grace under pressure, your enduring kindness and generosity... all of these made you an inspiration to many.  I know you didn't think you ever did anything extraordinary.  How many times did you tell me, "I just did what I had to do."?  But everyone who hears just an ounce of what you accomplished in your life, thinks you were amazing.  And so do I.

January, 2003
I miss you every day, but there are days when I know you are near.  Like last Christmas... we could all feel your presence that day.  I hope you got to see Charlie and Sarah singing their little Christmas songs.  They've grown so much in the last two years, Grandmother, and I know how proud you would be of how well they're both doing.  Still, I wish you were here.  I miss talking to you, I miss your sound advice on so many subjects.

As much as we miss you here, I know in my heart that you are in a better place.  I remember watching your face, and the peace that came over it as you slipped away from us.  Your gaze was so transfixed on something above us, that I have to believe there was someone there waiting for you.  I will treasure that moment just as much as every other moment I got to spend with you.  And I know too, that someday, you will be there waiting for me, with Granddaddy and Emma.

Until then, I will strive to be someone you would be proud of.  And not just because I'm your granddaughter, and you loved me.  But someone you would be proud to know, someone worthy of your respect and admiration.  I will carry you in my heart and my mind, because you were as smart as you were loving and generous.

Missing and loving you always,
Megan


Kathryn Alealia Chambers, six months old
Age sixteen

Kathryn Chambers Crouch Beilharz
March 23, 1920 ~ September 30, 2009
Always in our hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment